To move or not to move?
Moving house can bring positive benefits, such as lowered home
maintenance concerns, surroundings that make daily activities easier,
and bringing friends, family and other support closer to hand.
However moving can be stressful. Moving away from a family home or
familiar neighbourhood can be especially challenging when it means
moving away from a life history of experiences and long established
networks and support systems.
The move may be traumatic where it is due to changing health or
financial circumstances, or when it follows the death of a spouse or
Things to consider when planning a move:
- Your level of health or disability in relation to access, stairs, maintenance, repairs, household facilities and amenities, etc
- Access to services and recreation
- Level of support from family, carers
- Size and space for family members to visit, or caregivers to stay
- Cultural differences and requirements
- Economic issues, including rent, mortgage, repairs, rates, maintenance.
Moving in with family
Multi-generational households can be a good option; living with family members can provide support and companionship for both old
and young. However, unclear or informal arrangements can lead to family
dissent and even elder abuse.
Checklist before moving in:
- Talk frankly about the issues and assumptions involved. Does
everyone share common expectations about finances, personal spaces,
personal possessions, food, cooking, caregiving, transport, noise and
- If you are looking at merging your financial interests, for
example by selling your house, get independent legal advice and record
expectations and agreements in writing.
- Consider if your move is reversible, should the situation change.
Accredited Visiting Service
Accredited volunteer visitors are available for people who want more company.
Some local Age Concerns
provide advice and contacts for additional services such as home
maintenance, lawn-mowing and gardening, or contacts for reliable and
accredited tradespeople, you can also read more about home repairs and maintenance here.