Postal address: P O Box 2355, Christchurch 8140
Physical address: 250 Barrington St, Spreydon, CHRISTCHURCH 8024
Telephone: 03 366 0903
Facsimile: 03 365 0639
Visit the website: www.ageconcerncan.org.nz
Support Services, Information, Advice and Personal Advocacy:
- Responding in person/phone to a range of queries from older people and their carers e.g. advising where to obtain a service, what is available.
- Providing confidential support and empowerment to older people.
- Providing written materials eg. Pamphlets and resources. Material also available from a comprehensive database containing information on services, clubs, social contact groups and recreational activities. You can view the Information Database at www.ageconcerncan.org.nz
- Keeping On quarterly publication available by subscription ($10 per year)
- Referring on recommended people for trades, handymen, home help and gardening services. All providers are vetted and approved by Age Concern Canterbury and reasonable rates are charged for their services
- Providing visitors who make regular visits to socially isolated older people in their homes via the Age Concern Accredited Visiting Service.
Minibus Outings Service:
- Providing a door to door service, social contact and an outing for those who are socially isolated.
Elder Abuse and Neglect Prevention Service:
- Providing confidential support, advocacy and information for people facing elder abuse and neglect.
- Holding training seminars on elder abuse and neglect and other related topics.
- A Confident Driving course for Mature Drivers - The course is free and lunch is provided between two, two-hour sessions. It is held in a safe and enjoyable environment, provides workbooks for future reference, involves no tests or exams and provides an opportunity to share experiences and concerns.
- Home and Personal Safety - Age Concern Canterbury, in conjunction with the New Zealand Police, NZ Fire Service, Neighbourhood Support and Civil Defence provide factual information and tips about personal safety. The course is designed to build confidence and offer practical ideas. Having attended one of these courses the participants receive a free home safety audit and the installation of a tamper free smoke detector. The course is free, commences at 9.30am and finishes at 3.00pm. Morning tea and lunch are provided at no cost.
- Other courses including Financial Security and Mobility Scooter Safety may be available.
Venues for all courses are in and around the community or at Age Concern Canterbury. Ring to make a booking.
- Wheelchairs are available for short-term loan.
- Providing representation and advice on older peoples' issues to local influential groups eg. District Councils.