Age Concern Nelson/Tasman
- Elder Abuse Response Service: Providing confidential support, advocacy and information for people facing elder abuse and neglect.
- Visiting Services: Providing visitors who make regular visits to socially isolated older people in their homes via Age Concern Accredited Visiting Service and non-accredited programmes.
- Support Services, Information, Advice and Personal Advocacy: Responding in person/phone to a range of queries from older people and their carers eg. Advising on services available and how to contact them. Providing confidential support and empowerment to older people.
- Educational Workshops: Running workshops on Staying Safe Driving, Car Fit, Healthy Eating and Writing Life Stories.
- Seminars: Arranging talks from specialists in fields such as dementia, frauds and scams, and power of attorney.
- Celebratory Events: Recognising and celebrating older people on days such as International Day of Older Persons.
- Taxi Vouchers: Providing assessment and provision of Total Mobility taxi vouchers that enable entitled people to half-price taxi fares.
Capturing life stories and cultivating friendships
The value of looking back on your life, recognising achievements and recalling stories that can be passed down to your family, is the inspiration behind Age Concern Nelson Tasman’s Capturing Life Stories workshop.
We provide participants with a copy of Reflections of My Life, which is a template that suggests topics and headings from which they can write their memoirs. Hundreds attend, but other spinoffs are also having a positive impact. For example, at one of our early workshops, several participants were from Christchurch, having moved after the earthquakes. Six of them who hadn’t know each other previously, got chatting, exchanged phone numbers and established friendships that are still going today.
One woman didn’t know anyone in Nelson, another two were Dutch and discovered their shared homeland – all of them left our workshops not only finding out how to capture their life story, but having made friends with people they might otherwise never have met.