Why you need an Enduring Power of Attorney

More information about income

Going guarantor

Are you confident other people will know how to look after you and your property if you become unable to do so yourself, such as through accident, illness or incapacity?

There may come a time when you become unable to make or communicate decisions yourself. Therefore, it is crucial that someone you trust knows how you want your life and property handled. 

One way to ensure this happens is to appoint someone to act on your behalf by giving them “enduring power of attorney”. This is as important as having a Will in terms of planning ahead.  To help you, we have prepared a pamphlet - What happens if you can no longer make decisions? - which, among other things, explains the two kinds of enduring power of attorney, who you should appoint as your attorney and their responsibilities, and how to go about setting up an enduring power of attorney. 

There are two types of Enduring Power of Attorneys:


 1. Property 

Property EPA Form

For detailed information please visit the SuperSeniors website (pdf document) 


 2. Personal Care and Welfare 

Personal Care and Welfare Form 

For detailed information please visit the SuperSeniors website (pdf document) 




Attorney - the people you select and trust to look after decisions when you are no longer able regarding your your property, personal care and welfare.

Donor - This is your title as the person making the EPA.


To download the pamphlet in English, Te Reo or Chinese simplified, click on the relevant link to the right.

For more information, contact your local Age Concern or Age Concern New Zealand. For free legal advice, contact your nearest Community Law Centre.